Friday, July 13, 2012

Original Chained band tutorial

I originally posted this how to make chain linked rubberband bands for slingshot use at the now defunct Jacksshed back in August of 2010. I had recieved several requests from some of the various members after seeing field proof of the hunting effectiveness of the chained rubberband bands. Another note, I originally did the velocity tests with a heavier chain of 5x5x5 rubberbands per side. However  I have recorded some impressive speeds from  the 4x4x4 chain giving 193 fps with .50 cal lead balls and a whopping 163 fps with 20 gram round/oval smooth stones.

Note: Although the use of chained rubberband bands is a very old practice in slingshots, it can be said without a doubt that this particular configuration of using the redclay #32 rubberbands as illustrated in this old tutorial was first introduced by me in 2010 to the slingshot public. 

I introduced the use of red chained rubberbands in 2010 as a hunting quality elastic from my days on Jacksshed. The use of heavy pebbles with these red chained bands has been my hunting trademark for many years since before my teens. Only one man at the time I "publically introduced " these red chained rubberband bands came to use these bands along side me that would be my personal friend Jmplsnt. Any upstarts after this time who claim expertise in  the use of these chained bands are just new guys quoting an old source.

These red chains have proven effective in hunting and can work for you.


How to make the powerful chain linked rubberband bands

How strong are these bands? Properly constructed with the right rubberbands, I have recorded speeds with my chrony with a .50 cal lead ball 12 grams from 183+ fps to 203.3 fps with an average high 180+ fps and 174 fps with a half ounce 220grain lead bullet 14grams, consider also I used my large stone shooting pouch in these tests.

1. You will need a good bag of the red #32 rubberbands
Image
These can be found from people in produce business and at one time postal and paper companies. Also rubberband gun stores sold as medium ammo, I now order mine from a rubberband gun store.

2. The secret to making these powerful bands: Experience has shown me that although all of the rubberbands look alike in the bag some have a softer stretch, others have a very firm stretch with good recoil why are some soft stretch and others firm? I dont know maybe its a factory bagging error?. You want to test each rubberband you pull from the bag.

Image A good firm stretch is what want to use. Firm stretch equals strong chain. If you are making a 5 rubberband per chain you must do this with each rubberband. Assuming your bands will 3 links long 3 links = 9" band. You will have 30 rubberbands to test and use the firmest stretch you can find.

Starting the chain assembly:

In this illustration I used a 4 per link as an example:
Assuming you have selected your firm stretch rubberbands we must now start the assembly.
Image Here you have stacked your soon to be links in this case four in each stack ( Use 5 per for heavy hitting power)

You want to organized your stacks so they dont twist so much as they are linked: Like so Image

Now do the same with your other hand and we can start to link these into a chain.

Take one stack and loop into the loop of the other stack like thisImageA few more angles to explainImage
Image

Now you knot these loops by folding over the loop and pulling through the smaller loop created like this:
Image
Pull through this smaller loop within the loop.
Image
ImageHere you straighten the knot gently so that all bands are equal.
Now add your final link looping the same as you did the first two links and knotting in exactly the same wayImage
ImageImage
Your completed chain
Image

Now there is one completed band do the same for the next band and do not worry as the bands will look short because they slip when new rubber. As you strecth these chains the knots will set in place giving a 9" band.

Attachments? I attach the bands to pouch tied with rubberbands, others will loop and pull into the pouch holes. Attachments to fork two best methods for maximum velocity are the Mexican tie down attachment I favor and the gypsy and Spain variant attachment.

Keep your chains away from sunlight, cold temps, dampness, extreme heat AC all of these items dry or rot the rubber. They do not perform as well when cold. I normally keep my chained catapult in my back pocket covered by shirt to protect it when on a mooch. I only take out when ready to shoot. Ammo in one pocket and slingshot in the other.


Last Notes:

During this time on the shed I had also introduced the chained #64 rubberbands as a viable hunting elastic. Here's a portion of that old post.

Resortera with # 64 bands


a place for catapult chat.
Moderators: confused, mr=punch

Resortera with # 64 bands

Postby Nick » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:12 am
Hi JD and everyone,

In the spirit of this thread I am posting a quick picture of a slingshot I made with a Mexican fork my uncle made for me years ago.

I installed chained rubberband bands these are #64 3 per link three chain.

I test fired it at about 15 meters ( I need to go down to basement to get the distance so I am in essence shooting uphill)

I shot at my hanging target can with 10.5 gram lead ( egg sinkers)

It hit precise at that range, I remember this band rig was common with a friend of mine in the old neighborhood. I did well with it, powerful enough to get the job done.

Here's the pic. btw there are various ways to attach these kinds of bands maybe I will show some other ways.
You'll have to click on the image for a larger view..

Image
Nick
Status: Offline



Postby jmplsnt » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:02 am
I like the looks of those bands. When I get off the boat I'll take some of my double linked setup and post the results as well. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to try this kind of bands as well.
Unlike money, slingshots DO grow on trees.
User avatar
jmplsnt
Elite hunter
Elite hunter
Status: Offline
Posts: 1276
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Ozark Mountains, CSA



Postby tyke » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:40 am
I might have a go with these bands on the Milbro? if i can find some suitable ones that is,should be easy to connect and ive got a spare frame that needs rigging up.

Sounds like you come from a family of catty users/makers Nick,most people here just think theyre a kids toy,lol little do they know.
tyke
Status: Offline



Postby baumstamm » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:50 am
i like your resortas! do threy shoot over the top style?
baumstamm
Status: Offline



Postby gtavares » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:53 pm
Great slingshot mate !!! :smt117
gtavares
Status: Offline



Postby Nick » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:19 pm
baumstamm wrote:i like your resortas! do threy shoot over the top style?


Hi Baumstamm,

Yes they shoot over the top, the difference with these resorteras is that you pull against the tie as opposed to pulling the bands over the top of the horns like the catties you or fish make. The shot always travels over the top with this style. You still shoot it at an angle like the shoot overs, and I have never hit a fork this way that I can recall.

I will post a pic of yours as well in a while.
Nick
Status: Offline



Top



Postby Nick » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:34 pm
tyke wrote:I might have a go with these bands on the Milbro? if i can find some suitable ones that is,should be easy to connect and ive got a spare frame that needs rigging up.

Sounds like you come from a family of catty users/makers Nick,most people here just think theyre a kids toy,lol little do they know.


Hi Tyke,

I can think of a few ways to install these bands on a milbro.

Yeah I do come from a family catty users and makers, my uncle was at the top in the family craft of catty making. My father had the basic knowledge and made very workable ones, but when my uncle saw me making them with such enthusiasm. He took me under his wing and gave me tips on carving and making pouches, attachment styles etc.

But of course I grew up in a big city Los Angeles so I took what my uncle from rural Mexico taught me and applied it to the city life.

What I picked up in the city really rounded off my catty making ideas.

I will post some of other types I make. Gary talks about one similar in his video (a wire frame made with coat hanger) that I was taught as well its just made differnt but the concept is identical.

Thanks everyone else for looking and commenting.
Nick
Nick
Status: Offline



Postby Nick » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:36 pm
Oh yeah sorry guys the fork is from a common small acacia that grows in Mexico they call the bush

( Huizache) it is a very strong workable hard wood very durable..
Nick
Status: Offline



Postby Nick » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:43 pm
jmplsnt wrote:I like the looks of those bands. When I get off the boat I'll take some of my double linked setup and post the results as well. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to try this kind of bands as well.


Hi jmp

Yeah they are pretty strong bands, I have seen them flatten a pigeon with a marble. When I couldnt get my favorite red #32s I would use these #64 bands in this set up.

My old friend in the Barrio attached these differently and with a very wide fork. Of course the way he attached them the shot would go through the crotch which is why he used such wide forks.



UPDATE: 11/7/2013

I have noticed that there are some people who need help in keeping their chain linked rubber band bands from snapping too soon.

I made this video on You tube well over a year ago and it shows me making the chained bands from the #64 office rubber bands and it shows how I treat the chains with talcum and which prevents early breakage.



Good luck in your chained rubber band projects and happy hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment